Thursday, October 9, 2014

Doctor Who - Series 8 Episodes 5-7 Reviews

Here's the next 3 reviews for Doctor Who Series 8, episodes 1-7. In the previous blog, I reviewed episodes 1-4, and now I'm reviewing episodes 5-7.

Doctor Who: Time Heist (Series 8, Episode 5)


(Spoilers)

This was a fun episode of Doctor Who! It's not got to be one of the season's best or anything like that, and I have some small, nitpicky problems with it, but it was a serviceable episode, and one that many will enjoy.
The plot is that the Doctor, Clara, and two other people, one a girl who's a shapeshifter, and the other a male cyborg, must rob a bank! And avoid a giant monster of course!
The plot moved at a fast pace (perhaps too fast), it all concluded nicely, and had a twist.
The nitpicky problems I had with it were that it was ocassionally headache inducing, because of the loud sound effects, the siren noise the monster made, and the super fast moving plot, which actually confused me a bit. But hey, maybe's that just me being stupid.

+Fun story
+Entertaining
+Interesting side characters
-Plot gets semi-confusing
Episode Score: 8.0/10


Doctor Who: The Caretaker (Series 8, Episode 6)
The doctor goes undercover, and we get more Danny Pink action.
Like "Time Heist" this was a very enjoyable episode! Even better then "Time Heist." I really liked the Doctor going undercover, and there were many humerous Doctor moments throughout the episode, most of them being his interaction with Danny Pink.
Speaking of Danny Pink, he continues to be a fascinating new character, and I like how the show is moving the story along, as Danny Pink learns about the Doctor....only in the sixth episode of the season!
Another great thing about the episode is the character drama. The alien plot didn't interest me that much, in fact I didn't care about it at all, but it didn't impact my enjoyment that much of the overall episode because this episode had interesting drama between the characters. I loved seeing the Doctor, Clara, and Danny Pink all interact together!
In conclusion, a great episode, and a great season so far.

+Character Drama
+Danny Pink....
+....and the Doctor's interaction with Danny Pink
+Humerous scenes
-Lame alien storyline
Episode Score: 8.3/10


Doctor Who: Kill the Moon (Series 8, Episode 7)
null

There's been quite a diverse reaction over this episode. Some praise it, some despise it. Me?
Well I guess I lie somewhere in between. Perhaps more toward the praise side, but I defiantly do not think it's an "amazing" episode. I just think it's a good episode, one of the better ones of the season in fact. I liked a lot about it.
The Good:
The main point of this episode is the moral dilemma about whether or not they should kill the moon. And that whole story works well, and is interesting to watch. It's dramatic and meaningful.
And the spider creatures were creepy.
Plus, Jenna Coleman's performance was phenomenal.
The Not-Good:
The character of Courtney. Don't like her very much.
I don't think the ending will actually have much of a long term affect. Most likely, the Doctor and Clara will reunite in an episode or two.
Also, when the episode ended, I kinda thought to myself, "that's it?"

+Moral dilemma
+Jenna Coleman's performance
+Creepy spider creatures
-Courtney
Episode Score: 8.4/10

That's it for now. Stay tuned for weekly reviews for the rest of Series 8 starting next Saturday, when the new episode premieres.


No comments:

Post a Comment